Reporting an Accident or Incident
In the event of an accident or incident you must immediately report it using the University of Chicago Accident Incident Reporting system. The UCAIR tool is to notify the safety offices that there has been an event. For more information please visit the UCAIR homepage.
Click the envelope above to access the accident incident form.
In the event of an emergency:
- Step 1: Call UCPD at 123 or 773.702.8181 to ensure proper emergency response procedures are triggered.
- Step 2: Submit a report via UCAIR. EHS or ORS will initiate root‐cause analysis within 24 hours of report
Accidents are defined as unanticipated event that results in an injury, illness, hazardous spill/release, or significant property damage.
- Injury/Illness requiring medical attention
- Emergency equipment used (eyewash, extinguisher)
- Laboratory exposures
- Biological/Needle stick
- Animal bite/scratch
- Chemical spill OR oil spill
- Too large for spill kit
- > 42 gallons of oil entered drain
- Confirmed fire/explosion
- Significant property damage (Flooding)
- Odor complaint leading to building evacuation or occupants struck ill
In the event of an Non-emergency:
- Step 1: Submit a report via UCAIR. EHS or ORS will initiate root‐cause analysis within 24 hours of report
Incidents are defined as a close call/near miss that has the potential to escalate to accident status.
- Minor injury, no medical attention needed or self applied first‐aid
- Minor chemical spill
- Addressed with spill
- Drain not impacted
Routine Safety Concerns
A routine safety issue or concern should be submitted to EHS.
- Mildew or mold concerns
- Indoor air quality complaints
- Chemical storage, handling, or emergency procedures
- Policy or regulatory clarifications
- Job safety analysis/risk
If your safety concern is related to asbestos abatement please complete an Asbestos Request Form